This is not the theory discovered by Einstein, but the one that states that certain tax advantages may be disallowed if you sell an asset to someone (or a company) that the tax code calls a “related party.”
Simply put, selling a capital asset at a loss to any of the following entities will cause the loss to be disallowed.
- Children or grandchildren
- Parents or grandparents
- Brothers or Sisters
- A company that is more than 50% controlled by you (directly or indirectly)
Although there is no current loss allowed, there is still a tax benefit remaining.
Clients can email us for more information.
- Estate Planning under the Biden Administration:
What's changing and how to react- April 7, 2021
- Thanksgiving Items - November 25, 2020
- Do you receive Social Security, Civil Service, or VA Benefits:
There's some good news and some bad news- November 23, 2020